History

latteria-notte-2

epoca

The Latteria was founded in 1954 as a turnaria dairy; that is, farmers took turns to collect milk and take care of its processing into butter and cheese.  In 1977, thanks to the conviction of a small number of farmers, the company became Latteria Agricola Cooperativa (Dairy Farm Cooperative), around which rural life in Livigno revolved; later, alongside the main task of collecting and processing milk, the municipality of Livigno entrusted the cooperative with management of the municipal agricultural plan, including control of pastures, distribution of contributions related to care and maintenance of the territory and financial support for agricultural activity.
After 25 years, a period in which the headquarters and processing plant were established in the centre of the town, the project for a new tourist dairy saw the light in 2003, and work started in May 2005; the new dairy came into being on 6 July 2006 with the start of new production. Through this structure, the directors of the cooperative wanted to combine the best of the bond that has always supported our valleys, namely agriculture and tourism, which are the fundamental resources for development of the community of Livigno. 

 

storiaUntil just over 50 years ago, the valley of Livigno was completely isolated in winter. Until then, subsistence of the inhabitants of our valleys was based on livestock products: meat, wool and especially milk. Reaching the nearby Switzerland or the Valtellina on foot, butter and cheese were exchanged for basic necessities such as flour and salt. 

Ever since ancient times, cheese and butter have been the mainstay of this Alpine town, one of the highest above sea level in Europe.

 

Latteria Livigno un Certificato di Eccellenza 2013

Follow us on ...

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK OR WRITE REVIEW ON TRIPADVISOR